The Hellenic Society of Cardiology, was established in 1948 and registered with the Athens Civil Courts in 1950. Initially the founding members were 28, while today the number has risen to approximately 2,200 registered Cardiologists.
The objective of the Society is to promote Cardiology and related fields, as well as to strive for the achievement of optimum scientific and professional working conditions for its members. HCS is managed by a Board of Directors consisting of 9 members, which is renewed every two years, following a secret ballot of its members. The Board deals with scientific and administrative issues, as well as with scientific congresses and lectures.
The Hellenic Society of Cardiology is located in Athens in a private 5-storey building, at 6 Potamianou street. The building has full technical equipment for carrying out the activities of the Society. On the third floor of the building the e- Library, which serves members of the Society with the most important Cardiology journals worldwide and with excellent technological equipment, provides access to Greek and foreign literature 24 hours a day from all over Greece via Computers and modems. In the auditorium of the Society advanced courses, webinars, CPR seminars and monthly meetings of the Working Groups are conducted. Spaces of the building are configurated to serve as test rooms for free cardiac evaluation of sensitive social groups. The examinations include echocardiography and exercise testing in addition to the standard cardiac exam.